Friday, May 9, 2008

Observation 2

Site: Marsh/Pond area
Date: 5/8/08
Time: 8:35
Weather: Partly cloudy, slight breeze
Soil: Wet from rain

Since the last observation I already notice more plant vegetation. It seems as if there is more life in the area. I counted almost 10 yellow headed blackbirds, and saw almost 20 birds spread out all over the site. The birds seemed frantic, always flying around and chirping. I thought maybe they were feeding. Through out the observation the wind picked up and even more birds came to the site including robins and blackbirds, plus a new red winged bird I haven't identified. I also noticed more changes from last time. The cattail heads have bursted; possibly from the birds landing on them. I noticed there is algae all over the pond, and didn't see any geese in the pond. Instead the were around the premisis of the site. There are more grasses pushed down to the north east (pushed down the same way the wind blows). there were no bugs witch was surprising after the rain. I predict that the cattail heads will rebuild themselves and the site will become a home to more abiotic factors, I also think that the site well turn greener.

1 comment:

Ms. Overly said...

Great observations regarding the different prganisms in your area, and their different requirements for food and shelter. Also, good job describing the differences between your first two observations. Be sure to incorporate more ecological concepts as you continue to write your observations.